Skip to content

coming home

August 11, 2009

As many of you know, I decided to let the teaching studio go, allow my lease run out and move my junk back into the house. I have spent the last couple of weeks filling up the van and emptying the van. I’ve been taking my time, not doing too much on any day. I’ve been trying to set up the new working spaces as I go. My goal was to be all settled before my family vacation (which starts on Saturday), and I have done it. I have turned the building back over to my landlord, and I have found a home for 80 percent of the stuff I schlepped back here. The other 20 percent is stacked in the garage, and I will pick at that stash as I need it (and if I don’t need it, I will give it away or recycle it). Now, when we get back from vacation, my new (clean!) (private!!) (bright!!!) work spaces will greet me.

I had to split everything up into two rooms, and I think it’s going to work well. The first two photos are the new “art studio,” which is a sun room off our master bedroom. (We’ve never properly utilized this space.)

sun room _ art studio

sun room _ art studio2

The kitty on the table is Miss Daisy (like the movie character in “Driving Miss Daisy”). She is nearly 14. She is the only thing I have left from the B.K. years (before kids). She is a rescue we’ve had since she was a tiny kitten. Her first night home, she slept on my pillow. She has slept on my pillow every night since. She whacks my husband with her tail, and she is incredibly skeptical about the children. She’s a good girl. Also pictured is the bumper sticker on the back of my chair (“Witches’ parking only; all others will be toad”), my chimpanzee alarm clock (which makes chimp sounds when it goes off) and the rack for my acrylic paints (made for me by my dad).

The final photo is the new “library room,” which used to be a guest room that ended up only collecting junk. And we never have guests. I’ve told the family this is a quiet space for reading and board games and practicing musical instruments, but it is secretly a writing studio. Shhhh …

library_writing room

Highlights in this picture? The book shelf. I felt such a relief when I had my poetry books, writing books and reference books back in the house. The feeling was a sign that I’d made the right decision. The teddy bear on the desk wears sneakers and my marathon medal. Kids’ artwork on the wall (more to be added). The french horn in its case. The bright windows. The laptop. Where would I be without the laptop?

  1. Your sister :-) permalink
    August 11, 2009 10:42 pm

    It looks GREAT lady! GREAT!

  2. August 12, 2009 12:02 am

    It is so cool to see your spaces. They are lovely, organized (ah, that just moved in thing!) and I am thrilled for you. I wish I could toss back a shooter with you and toast these spaces.

    “Thrive!” I’d say! (I say.)

  3. August 12, 2009 7:41 am

    I love seeing your spaces. How wonderful! And the bumper sticker is way cool (remember, I live next to witch central–Salem, MA).

  4. August 19, 2009 3:36 pm

    Nice art studio!!! Great light, yes…

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: